Volunteer Opportunities - How you can get involved!
Loudoun Plant a Row wants you! There are many ways for you to get involved. Here are a few suggestions:
- Grow fruits or veggies in your garden and donate them directly to Loudoun Interfaith Relief food pantry (please ask for a Plant A Row donation receipt) or one of our drop locations. Call if you need to arrange to have your veggie donation picked up by another volunteer.
- Donate surplus seed, deer fencing, manure and other gardening supplies to Loudoun Plant A Row that we can distribute to our contributors.
- Make contacts in your community for drop off locations and to distribute Plant A Row literature.
- Attend fairs and other community events and spread the word about Loudoun Plant A Row.
- Arrange pick-ups and deliveries of donations to Loudoun Interfaith Relief.
- Coordinate efforts for gleaning.
- Spread the word! Please forward our newsletters and share links with family, friends, neighbors, churches, civic groups or whomever you feel may be interested in volunteering.
Don't see it listed here? Please let us know if you have an idea you would like to pursue or a service you feel you can provide. Without volunteers we do not exist! Contact Julia Brizendine with your ideas and suggestions
We Need Drivers!
We need volunteers on an ongoing basis for pick-up and delivery from the drop off locations to the Loudoun Interfaith Relief. If you can assist one day a week, one day a month or even one time a season, we want to hear from you!!
What Should I Grow?
There is no right or wrong when it comes to growing fruits or veggies for Loudoun Plant A Row. What you'll want to consider is how long will your fruit or veggie last once harvested. Fruits and veggies with a longer shelf life tend to be more practical like; squash, zucchini, potatoes, beans, onions, carrots, apples. Loudoun Interfaith Relief accepts all edible fruits and veggies for distribution. You are certainly welcome to donate tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, melons, pears, peaches, etc.
Please don't limit what you grow or donate because it will all be used!
Join our mailing list!
2012 YTD Donations
As of Nov 2012 we have donated over 21,600 lbs of fresh produce to the hungry in Loudoun County!